My search for a Pikkujoulu "video gem" turned up nothing I would like to share - apart from an interesting but badly made little piece featuring old songs and national costumes. Not sure anyone would spend time watching it - so...alas.

Most of the other videos I found had to do with drinking parties, and personal alcoholic binges. Not very enlightening.

Odd! My memories of "pikkujoulu" had to do with church basements lined with banquet tables laden with all kinds of Finnish Christmas food fare - rice pudding with berry sauce was my favorite! I recall barely being able to see the table top - must have been 4 or 5 years old. I think we were in Fitchburg, PA. Aiti was a soloist with the choir.

What a different picture from the one I found in videos spreading across cyberspace! I am sure that there are still little girls reaching for the rice pudding in church basements around the world where Finns celebrate "pikkujoulu". Those images are just not making it onto Youtube!

So...I will begin the Christmas Food Fare posts with an interesting Finnish-type ham recipe from a Youtube guest chef (right). It will be the first of several ham recipes for your consideration.

If you have one of your own, I would love to share it. Send it to me by email. Or if you have a talented cameraperson in the family - why not film it and share it with Youtube! They could use some more ideas!!!

0 comments